Living with sciatica can be a painful experience and the longer you ignore the pain the worse it is going to get. In order to get sciatic nerve treatment you should start doing sciatica exercises to relieve pain from irritation on the sciatic nerve in your lower back and buttocks.
The best exercises that you can do to get quick relief from your sciatica are going to include rotating and stretching your hip away from your body.
Sciatica Exercises To Relieve Pain
To get a better idea about what is going on inside your body that is causing your sciatica, check out my post about common sciatica symptoms and treatment. Starting a regular vinyasa yoga practice will allow your body to build strength from within and heal the joints and muscles that are causing compression on your sciatic nerve.
If you’re looking for some quick relief, I recommend starting with the following exercises:
1. Figure 4 Pose
- While lying on your back, bend your knees so your feet are planted on the ground in front of you.
- Lift your right leg and place your ankle across your left leg just below your knee.
- Slowly begin to press your right knee away from your body until you feel the stretch in your right hip.
- Hold this stretch for a few breaths and then switch legs.
2. Pigeon Pose
- Start with your hands and knees on the ground in a table-top position.
- Bring your right knee towards your right hand and your right foot towards your left hand.
- Begin to straighten your left leg out behind you while moving your left thigh and right hip towards to floor.
- Slowly lean forward and bring your forearms and head to touch out in front of you.
- Hold for a few breaths and then switch sides.
3. Seated Twist
- While in a seated position with your legs out in front of you, straighten you spine while bending your right knee and place your foot on the ground on the outside of your left knee.
- Rest your left elbow on your right knee and and your right hand on the ground beside you.
- Slowly begin to pull your right knee towards you with your left hand while looking and twisting your body to the right.
- Hold for a few breathes, going deeper into the stretch each time you exhale, and then switch sides.
4. Reclining Angle Pose (Supta Baddha Konasana)
- While lying on your back, bend your knees and bring the soles of your feet to touch in front of you.
- Place your hands near the creases of your hips and gently begin to press your hips forward with your hands.
- Allow your knees to spread wide and fall towards the ground on both sides.
Get Sciatic Nerve Treatment With Yoga
Consistently stretching your hips and lower back will allow space to open up around your sciatic nerve and loosen the muscles that are causing tightness in your lower back. Stretching and strengthening the muscles and joints around your sciatic nerve will begin to heal weakened tissue that has allowed for compression of the nerve.
I strongly recommend that you start a consistent yoga routine if you are serious about getting long-term relief from your sciatic pain.
I have personally experienced sciatica and chronic low back pain for years and yoga is the only exercise that has allowed for my body to strengthen from the inside out. There is hope for sciatica relief without the use of surgery or pain pills but it is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication to do so but I think living without the pain is worth it, don’t you?
How do you find relief from your sciatica?
Stick With It!